Sunday, November 13, 2011

Smile, It's Your Birthday

Happy Monday!  Today is my day to post for the Pink By Design Design Teamand I have a sweet little card that I made for my sister-in-law to share with you today.  She just LOVES ladybugs! 

But...you know what?  She is a fan of my Facebook page (which is great and very supportive of her), and I can't let her see a pic of her card before she gets it.  So, here's a pic for her to see on Facebook.  :)
Okay, so now that her card has been kept a secret from her, I can show it to you.  Here it is:


I used Pink By Design's Damask Background Stamp for the pink background paper.  I love how it adds just the right amount of elegance to my card. The sentiment came from Pink By Design's Take the Cake Stamp Set.  I got the cute little Ladybug from the Create a Critter Cricut Cartridge, the circle came from the Birthday Bash Cricut Cartridge, and the flowers came from the Close to My Heart Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge.  Plus, I embossed the circle with my Candy Cane Stripe Cuttlebug Embossing Folder.

This was my first time using flowers like this on a project, so I want to show you how I made these flower cutouts into three-dimentional embellishments.  You'll see that I was learning as I went.  First, I cut all of the flowers in four different sizes: 1 extra large, 3 large, 2 medium, and 1 small, and I inked all of the pieces with my Colorbox Fluid Chalk Inks.  Then, I found something cylindrical to curl my petals around.  I used my i-Rock (don't worry, it's wasn't turned on) to curl the petals of the extra large flower.  You could use anything cylindrical you have on hand.

See, it makes the flat flower cutout stand out a bit more.

The i-Rock wouldn't work for the smaller flowers, though, because it was just too big around to put a nice curl in the petals.  So, I decided to use my Tweezer-Bees.  I just grasped the end of the petal in my tweezers and twirled it back, wrapping the petal around the tweezers.  It was a lot like I was using a curling iron to curl my hair.  :)

Next,  I punched a hole in the center of each of the flowers.  Here's where I learned a lesson...it would probably be best to punch the holes BEFORE I curled the petals (DUH!).  The punch flattened some of the petals out a little, and I had to recurl them.

Finally I put brads through the hole of each flower to join the layers together.  I adhered the flowers to my project using foam tape.


I hope you like my little card, and I REALLY hope my sister-in-law likes it.  Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope you'll leave a comment for me...I SO love to read them.  Have a wonderful day!






4 comments:

  1. This is such an adorable card. Love the flower tip also. TFS Cathie
    www.creativecutter.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card Lisa! I love the colors and that sweeeet lady bug! She is sure to love her card!
    TFS!

    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments! They really make my day! :D